Sometimes, it might seem like building a music career is all about the hustle. But sometimes, you just need to let the opportunities come to you.
In this episode of The New Music Industry Podcast, I interview award-winning Canadian singer-songwriter Troy Kokol, who shares his journey as a songwriter and how he’s been able to make songwriting his full-time gig.
- 00:34 – Who is Troy Kokol?
- 03:00 – Revenue streams you can create with songwriting
- 05:10 – How do you get into writing songs for others?
- 07:36 – When opportunities come to you (and not the other way around)
- 10:16 – Do you have a team helping you?
- 11:51 – How to write hits and become a professional songwriter
- 17:52 – Being prolific vs. being perfectionist
- 19:58 – Is writer’s block real?
- 22:56 – Getting passed analysis paralysis and staying true to yourself
- 24:07 – What are your thoughts on the Calgary music scene?
- 28:05 – Grants and funding for musicians
- 29:31 – What is Calgary Songsmiths?
- 33:21 – Concluding thoughts
Subscribe to the The New Music Industry Podcast on iTunes for more great content
Check out the #1 Amazon best-seller The Essential Guide to Creative Entrepreneurship