Does personal development apply to music? If you were to ask me, it most certainly does. In this episode, we begin exploring personal growth habits that will transform your life.
- 00:14 – The first full chapter in my book is about personal development
- 00:53 – Personal development is a never-ending pursuit
- 01:19 – There was a time when I didn’t have a great self-image
- 01:35 – You will never rise above how you perceive yourself
- 01:49 – You need a personal growth plan
- 02:02 – Learning alone will not make the difference – applying it will
- 02:16 – Questions to ponder
Tweet These Quotes:
- Personal development is really a never-ending pursuit. – Tweet This
- You will never rise above how you perceive yourself. – Tweet This
The first full chapter in my book is about personal development.
Some also call it personal growth, self-help or self-improvement.
I wrote about personal development because of how much it has helped me. There are a lot of valuable things I’ve learned through seeking constant improvement in my life.
It’s helped me to learn how to push where my thinking and behavior could be challenged. It has also helped me to discover the outer limits of my strengths and weaknesses. My strengths can be continually developed, but I can only develop my weaknesses to a certain point before I hit an immovable plateau.
So I thought, “how could I possibly not share about some of the most valuable things I’ve learned about life?”
One important point is that personal development is really a never-ending pursuit. It’s a process of learning, a lifelong pursuit towards personal betterment.
I don’t see personal development as a one-time event. Some people wait until they think they need help in their lives. I think this is a mistake, because you risk having life lessons forced upon you.
There are some things you can’t control, which is why it’s a good idea to be aware of the variables you can control.
There was a time when I really didn’t have a great self-image. I wouldn’t say I’ve reached the summit of human perfection today, but my self-worth has definitely changed. And a high self-worth is really the only way to become aware of the full gamut of opportunities and possibilities staring back at you.
In the book I make the argument that you will never rise above how you perceive yourself. If you want to get to the point where you’re playing your music in front of thousands or even tens of thousands of people, you have to have the self-image to see yourself doing that.
What you need is a personal growth plan. This is something I will be talking more about in upcoming episodes, but once it has become habit, you’ll do it by default. You’ll keep sharpening your axe, because you’ll see the value in stretching yourself.
But learning alone will not make the difference. Applying what you learn will. So I’m going to challenge you to apply what you learn. You will become a better version of yourself as result of putting in the time and effort consistently.
I’ll ask you a few quick questions, and then we’ll be done for today:
- How do you see yourself? Do you have a high self-image, or a low self-image? Are you reaching for more, or are you complacent?
- Do you believe that you are capable of more than you now realize? Are you aware of the self-imposed limits you’ve put on yourself?
- Do you have a personal growth plan? Are you following it on a daily basis?
Are you ready to unlock your potential?
Tired of things not going as you want them to? Not getting the kinds of results you'd like to see in your career?
You know as well as I do that you're capable of more. Wouldn't you love to unlock your full potential as a musician or music entrepreneur? Wouldn't you love to take your career beyond?
I'm standing for that possibility, and I'm here to help.
So, join me in discovering new possibilities for yourself. It all starts here. Download your free report to get started.
Latest posts by David Andrew Wiebe (see all)
- 111 – The Life of a Musician, Conductor, Life Coach and Author – with Dobbs Franks - September 20, 2018
- 110 – Who Do You Align Yourself With? - September 13, 2018
- 109 – The Essential Guide to Music Entrepreneurship Pro Pack - September 6, 2018